Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sage and garlic infused chicken legs

When I'm at the meat counter and I'm thinking chicken, 9 times out of 10 I go for skinless-boneless chicken breast. Always a good choice, but then I wonder if I'm making assumptions about its superiority. Why is it that we so often ignore thighs and legs? And skin? Fatty, yes - but, it's not the worst thing we could be eating, right? I do my part to ignore fast food and fries, so I'm sure a litttttttle skin is alright sometimes.

And I'm so glad I did for this dish! One really great thing about buying chicken with skin on is that you can totally stuff things under the layer of skin, thus enhancing the flavor of your meat. For this dish, we used a cast iron skillet and rubbed a nice lemon olive oil all over the chicken legs and under the skin. Then we chopped a few (or 5) cloves of garlic and about 10 fresh sage leaves. We stuffed all of this under the skin, added sea salt and let it sit for a few minutes.

Before putting it in the over (350 for 15 minutes), we browned the skin in the cast iron skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes.

Buying good chicken def makes a difference, but having that layer of skin to capture all of the flavors of the garlic and sage proved to be the main factor that made this dish so memorable and delicious!

No comments: