Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Two Estranged Carbs, One Delicious Reunion

Beer Bread.

It's so fast, and so good. It uses maybe $1.50 of ingredients, and takes 0 effort.

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients. Mix in beer.
Pour into a greased loaf pan.
Pour melted butter over mixture.
Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

I tried this recipe last weekend and didn't believe it. Especially the bit about pouring the butter right on top. When I put it in the oven, I expected disaster for sure. But everyone at the table was delighted. Using the full stick of butter makes for an extra delicious annd crunchy loaf. We used Pyramid Thunderhook IPA, which gave the bread a hoppy zing. I want to try it with a dark stout next.

7 comments:

Isaac said...

I'm not sure if you can get drunk by eating many slices, but it's worth a go to find out!

Bret said...

Holy Moly this look AWESOME.

Another delicious reunion: this bread and my stomach.

Bret said...

Well, Jessica and I just made this. We used the beer we had on hand, a white ale. I think the oven's temperature is WAY off because after baking for about 40 minutes, we (thankfully) took a look, and the bottom was completely burned. But we cut off the bottom and the rest came out quite delicious - the crust was the best part, probably because of the butter.

Isaac, you sure about the hour baking time?

Isaac said...

Hmmm. 1 hour at 375. That's what the recipe said and what we did, and it came out great. BUT, I was in Lake Tahoe, and maybe the elevation played games. Also, as you know, different ovens vary significantly in the way they distribute heat, so that could be a factor?

Isaac said...

Bummer it burned on you, and glad you enjoyed it anyhow!

Cristin said...

Jessica and Bret were nice enough to let Greg and me try some. I thought it was super yummy! I would totally make this if I ever had a spare beer.

Gregorio said...

This recipe is amazing. I just made it with an amber. Turned out well. I made it in the same oven as Jessica and Bret did and baked it for 50 minutes at close to 325. Probably could have used about 5 more minutes. But I do think this oven is too hot. Great recipe!